The reopening plan will soon be sent to the Lake County General Health District for review and approval. There are two components in the plan that we want to announce at this time.
I want to thank you all for your patience and understanding as we continue to finalize our District’s reopening plan.
Our team and reopening advisory committee have been working to create a comprehensive plan to meet the needs of our students, staff, and families and are doing so in a careful and deliberate manner. The reopening plan will soon be sent to the Lake County General Health District for review and approval.
There are two components in the plan that we want to announce at this time:
There will be two learning options for students this year:
* Option 1 - A traditional return to school while following health and safety protocols set forth by the Lake County General Health District and the State of Ohio.
* Option 2 - A full-time remote learning program for parents/guardians who are not yet comfortable sending their child(ren) back to school due to the current COVID-19 health crisis.
Additional details and information about each option will be forthcoming following approval from the Lake County General Health District. Once details and information of the plan are approved and released, we will ask families to make a commitment to one of the learning options for the entire first semester.
Please understand that depending upon the level of increased severity of COVID-19, we may be required to transition from our traditional setting to a hybrid or a remote learning program as directed by the State of Ohio or deemed necessary by the District.
Our School Calendar will be revised pending Board approval:
* The first day of school for students in grades 1-12 will be Tuesday, September 8. Kindergarten will start on Thursday, September 10. The last day of school, Friday, June 4, remains unchanged. Preschool families will receive information soon from the District’s Preschool Supervisor.
* Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks will remain the same, however, teacher professional
in-service and reporting days throughout the school year have been rescheduled to the weeks before and after the instructional year.
* For parental/family planning purposes, a draft of the calendar for your review can be seen here.
I know that parents, staff, and community members are eagerly awaiting the final details of our reopening plan, which will include guidance on several important safety protocols, including cleaning, personal protective equipment (PPE), and other operational changes necessary for a safe start.
The COVID-19 health crisis remains a fluid situation and we appreciate everyone’s patience as we finalize our reopening plan.
Dr. James P. Kalis
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2020