The following statements are the items the students should know by the end of this unit of study. As a class we make sure we completely answer these statements. This is what the students use as their "review sheet" for multiple assessments in social studies:
Geography: Why is “where” important?
History: How does yesterday decide tomorrow?
Citizen- How can an individual make a difference?
Economics- How do people get what they want or need?
Government- Why do we have rules and who decides them?
Skills and Methods- How can we show what we know?
1. I can define geography.
2. I can list the geographic features of Rome.
3. I can explain why early Romans settled in Rome.
4. I can explain how the geography of Rome affected the way people lived there.
5. I can describe how the geography of Rome helped the Romans interact with other civilizations in the ancient world.
6. I can identify republic, empire, monarchy, government, Augustus.
7. I can list the early settlers of the Italian peninsula.
8. I can retell the story of Romulus and Remus.
9. I can explain how the myth of Romulus and Remus affected the settlement of early Rome.
10. I can identify the earliest form of government in Rome.
11. I can explain why Rome transitioned from a Roman Republic to a Roman Empire.
12. I can explain the transition in government from the beginnings of Rome to the fall of Rome.
13. I can define Christianity.
14. I can describe the basic ideas of Christianity.
15. I can discuss how the Roman Empire helped spread Christianity.
16. I can identify internal, external, Constantine, Diocletian, agriculture
17. I can list the internal and external reasons for the fall of Rome.
18. I can describe the cause and effect relationships that affected the fall of the Roman Empire.
19. I can explain how the problems led to the collapse of Rome.
20. I can explain how the Byzantine Empire began.
21. I can explain how Justinian influenced the growth of the Byzantine empire.
22. I can list why the Roman capital was moved to Constantinople.
23. I can explain how the Byzantine Empire carried on the glory of Rome.
24. I can identify schism.
25. I can identify reasons why the schism occurred.
26. I can list the two new religions that developed for the schism.
27. I can compare and contrast the Roman Catholic Church to the Eastern Orthodox Church.
28. I can explain how the schism of 1054 affected the Christian Church.
29. I can identify contributions for the Roman culture.
30. I can identify the architectural and engineering accomplishments of Rome.
31. I can explain how the religion and law of Rome affected us today.
32. I can explain how Roman contributions still affect is today.