"The essense of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple." ~S. Gudder
Wondering about 5th grade math? Each math block consists of 75 minutes. Your child is expected to be working on math, more math, and only math during this time. (Sorry Bookworms!) The daily routine will become very predictable regarding what is first, next, last, etc., so after a short time, your child should be very confident with our schedule. This breeds great success in the classroom!
Riverside Local Schools has adopted the EUREKA math program!
Please encourage your child to remember and embrace our 8 mathematical practices:
1. Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
2. Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
3. Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
4. Model with mathematics.
5. Use appropriate tools strategically.
6. Attend to precision.
7. Look for and make use of structure.
8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.
COMMON CORE OVERVIEW
Number and Operations in Base Ten
• Understand the place value system.
• Perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
• Write and interpret numerical expressions.
• Analyze patterns and relationships.
Number and Operations—Fractions
• Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
• Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and
Measurement and Data
• Convert like measurement units within a given measurement system.
• Represent and interpret data.
• Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication
and to addition.
• Graph points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems.
• Classify two-dimensional figures into categories based on their properties.