The Daily 5™ is a framework for structuring literacy time so students develop lifelong habits of reading, writing, and working independently.
How does it work?
Students select from five authentic reading and writing choices, working independently toward personalized goals, while the teacher meets individual needs through whole-group and small-group instruction, as well as one-on-one conferring. These choices include
- Read to Self,
- Work on Writing,
- Read to Someone,
- Listen to Reading, and
- Word Work.
Daily 5 classrooms produce productive, highly engaged students who are developing a true LOVE of literacy.
The benefits of The Daily 5 include the following:
- students develop independence, stamina, and accountability;
- less time consumed by classroom management leaves more for instruction;
- the framework adapts flawlessly to district-adopted curriculums and state mandates;
- improves schoolwide literacy achievement; and
- behaviors of independence transfer to other content areas.